WHO’s response to hantavirus cases linked to a cruise ship
Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO Director-General, briefed media today on a cluster of hantavirus cases linked to a cruise ship, the MV Hondius.
Eight cases have been reported so far, including three deaths. Five of the 8 cases have been confirmed as hantavirus.
The hantavirus involved is the Andes virus, the only species known to be capable of limited transmission between humans, linked to close and prolonged contact.
Describing the situation, Dr Tedros said, “While this is a serious incident, WHO assesses the public health risk as low.” He noted that given the incubation period, “it’s possible that more cases may be reported.”
WHO is coordinating closely with multiple countries under the International Health Regulations or IHR, rules that define the rights and obligations of countries and WHO in responding to public health events. This event demonstrates why the IHR exist, demonstrating the importance of global cooperation and solidarity in responding to health threats that know no borders.
“Our priorities are to ensure the affected patients receive care, that the remaining passengers on the ship are kept safe and treated with dignity, and to prevent any further spread of the virus,” Dr Tedros said.
WHO has taken a number of actions since it was notified of the situation on Saturday, 2 May 2026. The latest of these include deploying an expert on board the ship, to support a comprehensive medical assessment of all passengers and crew, while gathering critical information to evaluate their risk of infection.
WHO has arranged for the shipment of 2500 diagnostic kits from Argentina to laboratories in five countries to strengthen testing capacity. The Organization is also developing step-by-step operational guidance for the safe and respectful disembarkation and onward travel of passengers and crew when they arrive.
Watch the full press conference
59 000 deaths: Europe off track for Sustainable Development Goal targets for HIV, tuberculosis, viral hepatitis, and STIs
Threat assessment brief: Hantavirus-associated cluster of illness on a cruise ship: ECDC assessment and recommendations
Cruise ship hantavirus outbreak: ECDC response activated
ECDC launches episomer, a tool that turns social media signals into early public health action
Hantavirus outbreak on cruise ship under investigation: risk for Europe very low
Hantavirus outbreak on cruise ship under investigation: risk for Europeans very low
After-action review in Slovakia, following 2025 hepatitis A outbreak
From guidance to action: ECDC advances Infection Prevention and Control on World Hand Hygiene Day
Suspected hantavirus outbreak on cruise ship under investigation: risk for Europeans very low
ECDC monitoring outbreak associated with cruise ship
Joint call by the President of the ICRC, the Director-General of WHO and the International President of MSF
WHO Member States agree to extend negotiations on Pathogen Access and Benefit Sharing annex
Member States of the World Health Organization (WHO) have progressed work on the Pathogen Access and Benefit Sharing (PABS) annex, a key part of the WHO Pandemic Agreement, and today agreed additional time was needed to finalize the framework for ensuring a better, more equitable, response to future pandemics.
Countries today ended the resumed session of the sixth meeting of the Intergovernmental Working Group (IGWG) on the WHO Pandemic Agreement in Geneva, focused on the PABS system. The outcome of this work will be presented to the Seventy-ninth World Health Assembly (WHA) later this month. Given the need for further negotiations, the Assembly will be asked to consider continuing IGWG’s work as mandated in Resolution WHA78.1 and submit the outcome to the next Assembly in May 2027, or earlier by a special session of WHA in 2026.
“Real progress was made on the PABS annex and I am confident through continued negotiations differences will be overcome,” said Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO Director-General. “Member States should continue approaching the outstanding issues with a sense of urgency because the next pandemic is a matter of when, not if. The PABS annex is the last piece of the puzzle not only for the Pandemic Agreement but all initiatives that WHO and Member States have implemented as a result of lessons learned from the COVID-19 pandemic.”
The PABS system is intended to ensure, on equal footing, the rapid sharing of pathogens with pandemic potential and the fair and equitable sharing of benefits arising from their use, such as vaccines, diagnostics and therapeutics. Finalizing the PABS Annex is necessary so countries can proceed with signature and ratification of the Pandemic Agreement.
“Finalizing a document of such technical and legal complexity requires precision and dedication, both of which the Member States have demonstrated in full,” said IGWG Bureau Co-Chair Ambassador Tovar da Silva Nunes of Brazil. “We are not there yet, but with an extension of our negotiations, we will get there.”
IGWG Co-Chair Mr Matthew Harpur said: “WHO Member States have demonstrated strong and continuing commitment to negotiations on a Pathogen Access and Benefit Sharing system annex. The IGWG Bureau is confident we are moving in the right direction to finalize the PABS annex, and in doing so provide the WHO Pandemic Agreement with the framework needed to ensure countries are better, and more equitably, prepared and protected for the next pandemic.”
The IGWG will hold its seventh meeting from 6 to 17 July 2026.
In May 2025, the World Health Assembly adopted the WHO Pandemic Agreement to strengthen how countries prevent, prepare for, and respond to pandemics. It also established an open-ended Intergovernmental Working Group (IGWG) to carry out key tasks, including drafting and negotiating the PABS system.
Asociatia Creierului Iasi